Outdoor barbecue parties are always the favorite choice of most families. There’s no denying that the classic barbecue and signature smoke flavor are captivating. In comparison with an electric smoker, your grilled food on a pellet smoker will come out with its great featured smokey flavor that will be suitable for those who love the complex smokey taste of grilled meat.
Are you considering buying a best smoker but not having any clue to find out the good one? The party is nearly coming but you are still being stuck with a hundred choices in a hundred types of smokers? If you are new to smoking, this article will be a great guide for you that helps you understand what makes the best pellet smokers for beginners before you make a decision.
This article below will offer you the great options about the best pellet smokers for beginners that you should consider.
Our Top Choices for Best Pellet Smoker For Beginners in 2021
1. Weber 18-inch Smokey Mountain Cooker, Charcoal Smokers
Being a newbie does not mean you cannot have a perfect classic barbecue with slices of tender out-of-the-bone meat. If quality, affordability, and versatility of a smoker are your jam, you should consider the Weber Smokey Mountain for your backyard. It was ranked as one of the best pellet smokers for beginners on the market in 2021. The Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker, which is also known as a charcoal smoker, has a great large capacity for smoking multiple items will be the best choice for your cozy dinner or even an outdoor barbecue party with friends. With this smoker, your pretty recipes will turn into best grilling and smoking dishes covered with full of signature smoke flavor. Have one of these smokers and get your meat done like a pro.
- High-quality and durable porcelain enameled body that doesn’t warp under high heat.
- 2 nickel-plated 18-1/2-inch-wide cooking grates create flexibility in whatever you cook.
- Rust-resistant metal legs to stand firmly
- Built-in lid thermometer
- The great large capacity of up to 18″ for a big cooking area easily executes a large roast that’ll feed the family for days.
- Rust-resistant dampers make it easy to control the heat
- Built-in water pan limit the dehydration of your meat during long cooks
- A separate fuel door makes it easy to add fuel without having to move the meat
- Size: 18″
- Product Dimensions 21 x 19 x 41 inches
- Item Weight 39.1 pounds
- Department: Outdoor Living
- Manufacturer: Weber
- A high-quality pellet smoker for beginners that’s backed with a 10-year warranty
- Easy to use and control the heat
- Available in 3 sizes offering you more options for your family
- Compact vertical design
- Fuel efficient
- Can’t be used for grilling
- No hook to hang the hot lid
- Expect a bit of smoke to leak around the door.
2. Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado, Pellet Grills
Referring to the best outdoor oven, it is impossible not to mention the Kamado brand. Features a distinctive egg-shaped design and their quality texture resulting in excellent heat retention and insulation. Among those best smokers, the best one for beginners is the Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Joe Kooker pellet smoker with many combined features which can make your food looks beautiful and taste delicious.
- Triple-walled insulation retains the heat and maintains the temperature ranging from 200°- 700° F.
- Solid and durable steel construction for longer longevity.
- Adjustable top and bottom dampers maintain airflow along with a built-in stainless heat gauge.
- Easy dump ash pan makes it easy to clean
- Removable warming rack.
- Two large 8-inch front wheels with locking rear caster.
- Folding Side Shelf
- Two convenient side shelves with utensil hooks fold away when not in use or for storage.
- Product Dimensions 26.6 x 24.8 x 21.65 inches
- Item Weight 90 pounds
- Manufacturer Char-Griller
- Affordable price for its quality.
- Easy to get it clean up and storage
- The best smoker for beginners with simple temperature control.
- Some customers have complained about low-quality components like bolts or temperature gauges.
- The low usage longevity
3. Camp Chef PG24MZG SmokePro Slide Smoker
What is the best pellet smoker for beginners? An easy-to-use smoker with many built-in automatic features or a versatile smoker can meet all your cooking needs. If you are a newbie and you are wondering which smoker to buy, Camp Chef PG24MZG SmokePro Slide Smoker can be the best choice of pellet smoker for beginners like you. Not only brings a great cooking experience with many baking and smoking modes but also minimizes your cleaning time. Get one of these smokers for yourself and family will make cooking grilling and smoking dishes become easy even if you are a beginner.
- Two stainless steel meat probes to ensure your health
- The direct flame mode allows you to cook a premium wood-fired flavor steak.
- Convection style cooking, dual top-shelf FULLY adjustable
- Exclusive and automatic ash cleanout system, help you to save time and effort to enjoy your meal better
- Includes heavy-duty front shelf
- PID Controller with 1-10 smoke Settings
- Fuel Type: Wood
- Brand: Camp Chef
- Style: Slide Smoker
- Power Source: Corded Electric
- Color Black
- Item Weight 144.7 Pounds
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 40.5 x 25 x 22 inches
- Easy to clean up with automatic hopper and Ash cleanout system
- Up to 10 smoke level
- Built-in many cooking setting including grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, and even barbecue with the Premium wood-fired flavor
- Added top-level for double cooking surface
- Heavy and bulk design
4. Memphis Wood Fire Grills Pro Cart w/WiFi
What makes an amateur chef enter a game for the first time? Even if there is a perfect recipes, it could be a concern about incorrect fire control. Don’t worry, Memphis Wood Fire Grills Pro Cart w/WiFi will be the best solution for all the problems that a typical pellet grills for beginners often trouble. With dual propellers for convection and intelligent temperature control, the best standard steak will be at your fingertips.
- High-quality stainless steel with a double-walled design and oven-grade gasket for superior insulation.
- A large cooking area with optional grates, 4,320 cubic inches total.
- Intelligent Temperature Control with built-in Auto-Start.
- A dual fan convection system with metal blades provides even heat circulation for convection cooking.
- 18 lb. pellet hopper with two 9 lb. bins lets you automatically mix a variety of flavors.
- Fuel type: Wood pellets
- Barbecue material: Double-walled stainless steel
- Cooking capacity: 4,230 cubic inches
- Heat range: Up to 600°F
- Product Dimensions 47 x 29 x 57 inches
- Item Weight 213 pounds
- Manufacturer Memphis Wood Fire Grills
- Double-walled design for excellent heat retention.
- Oven-quality gasket for the limit of leak-proof risk
- Dual fans to circulate best heat for an even cooking environment
- Perforated insert to allow you to grill directly over the pellet fire
- One of the cheapest pellet grills to run due to its efficiency in retaining heat and smoke
- Dual pellet hoppers allow you to mix different flavored pellets for even more smoking options
- WiFi control from your smartphone
- Nothing – we can’t get enough of this smoker!
5. VISION Grills Ceramic Kamado
Without exaggeration, many customers voted Vision Grills Kamado pellet smoker as the best smoker for beginners as it is packed with features that make it become user-friendly. The Kamado design, the enameled ceramic body of Vision Grills Kamado holds temperature and smoke very well to minimize your coal usage and makes it easy to clean with less ash and a sliding ash holder.
- Quickly change temperature ability from 200 Degree to 700Degree + in just a few minutes
- Outstanding thermal holding capacity makes coal consumption more economical and environmentally friendly by reducing ash significantly.
- The cooking environment is closed, the cooking process takes place faster and cooks more evenly.
- Ceramic construction of the pellet grills eliminates the risk of burns.
- The wide grilling space is up to 596 square inches
- Fuel type: Charcoal
- Barbecue material: Glazed ceramic
- Grate material: Stainless steel dual flip grates with handles
- Cooking capacity: 596 sq. in.
- Temperature range: 200-700°F
- Dimensions: 47(H) x 22.5(W) x 28.8(D)
- Weight: 252lbs
- The electric starter makes it easy and quick to burn coal
- Easy to use with ProZone temperature setting
- The hand-stainless steel grills makes it easy to add coal
- The wheels with lock for easy and safe movement
- The removable ash compartment allows for easy cleaning
- It can be turned into a gas pellet grill using the Vision Grills gas insert, sold separately
- Some reports of smoke leaking around the ash drawer, however, we didn’t find this to be a big problem.
6. BIG HORN OUTDOORS Pellet Grill & Smoker
Your outdoor party will be more awesome than ever, but you still looking for the best suit pellet grills?
Whether you grill, smoke, or roast, whether you are a beginner or a pro, Big Horn Outdoors Pellet Grill and Smoker allows you to experience simple cooking, and confidently create meals with amazing wood-fired taste. It wholeheartedly deserves to be the best pellet smoker for beginners who expect digital and auto control panels.
If you are going to have a barbecue with friends and family, having one of these smokers will be the best and wise choice of yours. For its multi features and simple control, you can get your grilling and smoking dishes done deliciously with your own recipes.
- Enjoy a woodball BBQ with a great large pellet smoker’s cooking area
- The large horn created the original wood pellet grills as the traditional way to achieve the best flavor of firewood burning;
- Electronic automatic digital temperature control lets you set easily your baking temperature
- 6-in-1 Firewood Grill setting: Grilled, smoked, broiled, roasted, braised, and BBQ
- Tough and Durable steel construction
- Product Dimensions 43 x 20 x 45 inches
- Item Weight 107 pounds
- Manufacturer Shinerich Industrial Ltd.
- Brand BIG HORN OUTDOORS
- Power: Wood, Wood pellet, Charcoal
- Adjustable smokestack damper;
- Strong folding front shelf makes storage easy;
- A heavy-duty wheel for easy mobility and firm standing.
- Built-in oil catcher and exhaust chimney for smoke control
- No thermometer in the lid
- No have a top warming rack
7. Royal Gourmet 30″ BBQ Charcoal Grill and Offset Smoker
There is nothing simpler than preparing a delicious meal with this Royal Gourmet Charcoal Grills and Offset Smoker. A compact design and versatile device that fits almost every corner of your home, even the corner of your small yard or balcony is a great reason to choose it. The ceramic cookware is super durable, you can adjust the cooking temperature easily. The cooking compartment is designed with an adjustable charcoal pan for better heating. The most attractive feature that makes it deserve to be the best pellet smoker for beginners, is a smoke hood combined with a direct pellet grill on fire. Not only for making smoking dishes with good looking and smoky flavor but also for baking different types of side dishes like corn or vegetables for family vegetarians.
- 800 sq inch of total large cooking surface of the pellet grills allowing to cook many smoking dishes at the same time or cook large dishes for the whole family
- Easy to pour ash with a removable ash pan
- The door on the Side Fire Box makes tending coals easy and quick.
- Integrated temperature gauge, easy to manage and timely adjust fire
- Porcelain Wire Cooking Grates retain heat evenly and limit the dehydration of your meat during the long cooking
- Two durable wheels, designed for easy transport firmly to stand on the ground.
- Product Dimensions 55.1 x 27.2 x 48.4 inches
- Item Weight 54.2 pounds
- Manufacturer Royal Gourmet
- The large total cooking area is divided into several zones thanks to the front, side and underneath the rack, allowing you to complete your work in the most convenient way and be convenient for hanging accessories.
- Good price
- Portable feature, easy to move
- Combination charcoal grills and smokers
- A few customers have reported that the main chamber leaks sometimes and doesn’t retain heat well.
8. Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker
If you are looking for a best smoker that features similar to an outdoor pellet grill, Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker will be a great choice of yours. Made from heat-resistant, high-temperature steel and equipped with a large coal basket, this backflow-compensating smoke cleaner is convenient because it is highly durable. This smoker will get your grilling and smoking dishes done perfectly due to your cooking recipes.
- 2 optional smokestack location of Oklahoma Joe’s including reverse flow or traditional offset smoking depend on your cooking recipes.
- 4 Pre-Installed Baffle Plates locked under porcelain-coated wire grates deliver even heat and smoke through the cooking chamber.
- A large charcoal basket of Oklahoma Joe’s provides a great efficient burn, easier tending to the fire, and quick clean-up.
- Swing-Open Firebox Door on the side lets you stoke your fire without opening the chamber lid.
- Convenient Front and Bottom Shelves: Front shelf is a great ideal for food and utensils. A large bottom shelf provides plenty of space for charcoal, wood, or other fuel types.
- Large, wagon-style wheels for easy mobility
- Lid-Mounted Temperature Gauge for accurate temperature monitoring.
- Multiple adjustable dampers to regulate heat and smoke.
- Cool-Touch Handles protect your hands from the heat.
- Fuel type: Charcoal
- Barbecue material: Painted steel
- Grate material: Porcelain-coated wire
- Product Dimensions 33.5 x 57 x 53 inches
- Item Weight 180.8 pounds
- Manufacturer Oklahoma Joe’s
- Reverse flow design offers superior heat and smoke distribution to the traditional offset smoker design, making it easier to get great results
- Large cooking capacity
- Use it as charcoal grills by removing the baffle plate from the main cooking chamber and adding included grills grates
- Additional bung so you can add another thermometer for an even more precise understanding of your cook
- Great price
- Need a bit of practice to master
- Sometimes leak a bit of smoke
- The paint might flake off when the steel gets too hot
9. Masterbuilt MB20070210 Analog Electric Smoker
The electric smoker is the best choice for those just starting in the smoker’s world and looking for a suitable smoker. Prepare your bacon at home with little to no fuel cost and cost. So for anyone dreaming of limitless smoked salmon, pulled pork, or grilled brisket, the Masterbuilt MES 35B is a great model.
- Built-in temperature gauge lets you control and adjusts timely the heat
- Temperature control is easy with an analog dial
- Easily remove ash via sliding out a wood chip tray
- 1,500-watt heating element for even, stable temperature and consistent smoking throughout.
- Brand: Masterbuilt
- Model Name: Analog Electric Smoker
- Power Source: Corded Electric
- Color: Black
- Item Weight: 49.86 Pounds
- Item Dimensions: LxWxH 20 x 21.69 x 40.15 inches
- Fuel Type: Electric
- Powerful heating element
- Easy to use temperature dial and regulator eliminate most of the work of smoking
- Separate wood and water tray for added smokiness and moisture
- Inexpensive and effective
- Large enough capacity without going overboard
- A bit flimsy as you’d expect from an electric smoker in this price range
- Sometimes analog dial doesn’t show actual degrees
10. Pit Boss Memphis Ultimate 4-in-1 LP Gas, Charcoal, Smoker
This Pit Boss Gas and Charcoal Grill might be your perfect match for your backyard or patio to cook a variety of great foods. Due to the smoker’s specs, it can also be used as a liquid gas grill, a charcoal grill, a smoker, or indirect cooking to give you the ultimate experience and good looking dishes.
- 3 stainless steel burners;
- Charcoal grill with adjustable charcoal grate and air dampers
- Porcelain-coated cast-iron grilling surface
- Porcelain-coated warming racks
- Adjustable vents allow smoke to fill LP or charcoal chamber for offset smoking or cold smoking
- 1,500-watt electric smoker element
- Pit Boss Memphis Ultimate Smoking Grill with 4 Casters
- Can be used as a liquid gas grill, a charcoal grill, a smoker, or indirect cooking
- 4-in-1 smoker for the full BBQ experience
- Fuel type: Charcoal, gas, and electric
- Barbecue material: Painted steel
- Grate material: Porcelain-coated cast-iron
- Cooking capacity: 2,127 sq in
- Number of gas burners: 3
- Main burners BTU-per-hour-input: 15,000
- Wattage electric smoker: 1,500
- Multiple ways to smoke and grill with charcoal, gas, and electric combo let you experiment with multiple items in one barbecue.
- Wood-smoked flavor
- Large cooking capacity
- Porcelain-coated cast-iron grates clean up well and are long-lasting
- Combo barbecues do it all but don’t do everything exceptionally well.
How do pellet smokers work?
A typical pellet smoker for beginners works by heating a cooking chamber, where air circulates, heating food through convection. Charcoal or hardwood pellet smoker is burned at the bottom of the cooking chamber, while food sits on a pellet grill near the top of the chamber. The heat then travels throughout the cooking chamber via a convection medium (air control) which maintains a constant temperature. A heat exchanger separates smoke from warm air, the lower your temperature is, the more smoke is generated. When the fuel is low, the pellets located above the cooking chamber are pushed down a chute and into the center of the chamber.
The temperature setting on the pellet hood is controlled by the airflow. The fan circulates heat and smoke for even, consistent cooking and drip tray keeps your food from burning and avoids flare-ups. Additional fuel in the form of oxygen is blown through the combustion pot to increase the burning rate and help control the burn evenly, stably, and efficiently. Meanwhile, heat can escape from the suction when the top cover is opened.
The differences between grill and pellet smoker
The main differences between Pellet Smokers and Pellet Grills are their principle work and the flavors they create.
When it comes to pellet smokers, they use actual smoke to cook food. While smokers can be coal, gas, firewood, or electricity, in which gases and electricity are much easier and popular to use and require less temperature adjustment. Pellet Smoker uses indirect heat and operates through air convection inside the cooking chamber. Through this method of cooking, foods take on a smoky and signature authentic “barbecue” flavor.
Grills, on the other hand, offer more variety and flexibility in cooking forms. Pellet Grills can be powered by electricity, coal, or gas, but gas and charcoal grills are often preferred over electric grills because they create a better flavor. They can use both direct heats (placing food directly over an open flame) or indirect heat (placing food next to an open flame) to cook food. By using indirect heat, you can slowly and evenly cook thicker meat that won’t dry out and burn on the outside.
What Makes the Best Smokers for Beginners? – Buying Guide
Selection is never easy, the smoker selection is no exception. There is a lot of information to sift through to choose the best smoker, especially the best pellet smoker for beginners.
Below is a summary of items to consider when buying a pellet smoker.
The system maintains and distributes heat
One of the most important features of any smoker, especially a pellet smoker for beginners, is its ability to retain heat and transfer heat. The consistent and consistent heat is what makes your dish wonder – and makes you look like a chef.
The temperature will directly affect the taste of the dish. A classic BBQ flavor or signature smoky flavor will be determined by the heating system you choose
The budget is always the top factor before making any purchases. The smoker market is huge – and I’m sure you can find some smokers that fits your budget.
The high or low price will partly determine the quality of the features incorporated within the smokers. Depending on your needs, there will be different good prices. Remember, the best pellet smoker for beginners is not the most expensive smoker that is the pellet smoker that best suits your needs and budget.
One of the most great but neglected features of any oven or hood is the manufacturer’s warranty.
The equipment and tools with complex structure and easy to endanger the users during use should have a clear and specific warranty policy.
A good warranty not only assists you with manufacturer defects but also reinforces your brand’s confidence in the best pellet smoker for beginners.
The industry-standard warranty for ovens and smokers is generally around 3 years. Some companies (like Weber) are known to offer 5 or even 10 years warranties. Our advice: if you’re stuck between two smokers – choose the one with a better warranty.
Which Types of Smokers Should You Get?
In general, there are 4 main types of smokers in the current market including electric smokers, gas smokers, charcoal smokers, and pellet smokers. Gas smokers and charcoal smokers used to be familiar smoker types for many people. However, the types of pellet smoker for beginners are step by step dominating the market by their versatility and convenience. You can select a best fit smoker depending on your cooking needs and preferences or if you are not confident, you completely select the best pellet smoker for beginners.
Charcoal smoking is perhaps the most popular, or at least the least known, smoking on the market. As the name suggests, charcoal, lump coal, or briquettes are the main heat-generating ingredients.
If you love enjoying your cooking experience and making great food with your own recipes, you will likely fall in love with charcoal smokers. It is a process where you have to constantly control and adjust the temperature throughout the process.
- Good price
- Create a great variety of distinctive smoke flavors for you to choose from. While briquettes are widely available and bring the traditional smoky flavor to your dish, lump coal is a more upscale option that allows you to take the smoky flavor to new heights.
- Requires the most time and attention compared to the rest of the smokers
- The cost of coal is high if you smoke regularly
- Temperature management can take a few tries to get the effect
Electric smoking machines are increasingly widely covered and widely sold in the market. Although purists and traditionalists may scoff at the idea of an electric smoking machine, in reality, electric smokers are one of the most optimal and simplest solutions for beginners.
- Ease of use. All you have to do is plug in the thermostat.
- Automatic temperature management will save you quite a bit of time.
- The BBQ experience cannot be complete. Because they are not capable of creating complex flavor groups and have a smoky odor like a charcoal or wood smoker
- Due to power operation, a weatherproof extension cord is required.
The main heat-generating fuel used is propane. Similar to electric smokers, gas smokers do not require much constant attention to your food after you start. Hence, they are an easy-to-use option and certainly one of the best smoking tools for beginners.
- You need constant thermal monitoring and management
- Low price
- Less flavor in your results than wood or charcoal smokers.
Mention of Pellet Smoker/Grills is a super versatile outdoor capsule pellet grill that allows you to grill, smoke, and bake all in one luxury device. Hence, it is known as one of the best smokers for beginners.
The pellet smoker for beginners is powered by wood pellets, which are essentially reusable wooden capsules and sawdust. You can experiment with different fuel pellets for different foods to find many different flavors.
- Wood pellets allow for a delicious smoky flavor
- The fuel consumption rate is slow while maintaining a constant temperature for your dish
- Price is more expensive
Which Accessories Do You Need?
While you can definitely use your best pellet smoker for beginners right away, there are some key accessories you’ll need to add to make the perfect BBQ without interruption.
The best pellet smoker for beginners should include:
This is one of the first things any professionals or amateurs need to accurately manage the ideal time and temperature. Many probe thermometers come with multiple probes. That means you can track two or more separate meats at the same time.
The best pellet smokers for beginners or even professional are the smokers with thermometer probe
Chunks of wood and lump coal
The best performance and taste of the best pellet smoker for beginners are produced from logs or lumps. The type of wood you use is very important. Different types of wood evoke different flavors of each dish.
Slicing and trimming knives
One of the most ignored aspects of smoking is the knives you use to cut meat. The right blade will affect the dish’s presentation and the tenderness of the meat.
There are so many types of smokers on the market, if I have to pick one, it would be pellet smokers. The best pellet smoker for beginner owns some outstanding features compared to the others are:
- A pellet smoker for beginners – a rolled-in-one combination of the smoker, the oven, and the pellet grill that increase its convenience and versatility for the users
- Top-notch features can assure the accuracy of the temperature and can keep the temperature stable by automatically feeding the required amount of pellets into the smokers.
- Some models are even associated with Wi-fi and smartphones that allow you to adjust the pellet grill temperature and the feeding remotely right from your phone.
- A pellet smoker produces less ash compared with charcoal smokers. That means you will not have to spend much time cleaning up and have more time to enjoy other things.
If you are a newbie, and you are a fan of smoke and BBQ flavors, believe me, pellet smokers will be your perfect choice. Depending on your preferences about the shape and features, you absolutely can choose the best pellet smoker for beginners as suggested above.
Further reading: Best Kitchen Tips and Tricks